As another decade begins, technology surpasses another level of necessity. Computer electronics, which have been around since 1974, have only made our lives easier. For that reason, most of the world with access to these technologies utilizes them for almost every task they can. In addition, smartphones, which are powerful, inexpensive, portable computers, help us accomplish these tasks on the fly with a little help from the internet. Here in this tutorial, we will tell you about how to change APN settings on your android device easily.
What an APN is?
Internet connectivity keeps information flowing from one hand to the other, on a global scale, and that too, in real-time. This is where an APN, i.e., Access Point Name, arrives as a key factor to maintaining that connectivity. In simpler terms, An APN is a name that provides the device that will use the internet, with the details and instructions on how to connect to the internet. Each network operator has their own set of APNs that they forward to the device that logs in their SIM card so the user can go online. Therefore, the APN settings Reliance Jio uses will be different from the settings that Airtel does. With this website, you can understand better.
How an APN works?
The main objective of an APN is to establish a sort of gateway between the operator network (the SIM card) and the public internet. So the network sends your device a particular set of settings to do that, kind of like a password that lets you log in to your computer but instead of one long string of letters, it’s a lot of different pieces that combine into an APN like which internet protocol (IP) to use if there’s authentication required or if there are any proxies and ports.
It depends on the network operators’ pre-defined structures, and different providers use different settings. Of course, there is some room to change parameters if you know what you’re doing, but most of the time, the device automatically acquires the optimal settings to establish a connection when you put the SIM card in the slot and turn it on the phone.
Also Read: 5 Best Android Tracking Apps
Why you need to change an APN:
Well, maybe due to some error, the device you’re using does not let you make calls, send texts or connect to the internet, even though it does identify your SIM card as inserted. So the first solution should always be rebooting the device, and if that doesn’t work, you might need to set up your APN manually.
Some people install Custom ROMs on their devices, which causes instability in the automated process of identifying the default APN settings. So you’ll have to do it yourself.
Or maybe some other unusual reason you mistakenly reset your settings or perhaps deleted them and are now unable to conduct the basic functions like calling that a smartphone is built to perform.
Steps to change your APN on an Android Device:
Please note that different manufacturers of android devices use somewhat different interfaces, which can cause some ambiguity. Still, you’ll find your way to the final step in no time if you pay a little attention.
- Open your device’s settings, then locate the tab called ‘Network and Internet.’ In some phones, this may be labeled as ‘Mobile Network’ or ‘Mobile Data’ or whatever suggests it’s going to lead you to your SIM card settings.
- Tap on the mobile network tab, but move to the next step if you’re already in there.
- Tap on Advanced Settings or Options.
- Now tap on Access Point Names. Fantastic! You’re doing a great job.
- You’ll either see some pre-made APNs in that tab, which you could unselect. Select one and check if that solves the problem, and then select another and try again.
- In case the problem persists, select ‘New APN.’
- Now, you should include your APN settings with the package that the SIM card arrived in. If you cannot find one, use some other internet-connected device to search APNs for your network operator on the internet and then add those details.
- Fill in the ‘Name’ and ‘APN’ fields with the details you found and tap on OK. (If there are other details you’re required to fill, you should fill them if the details for them are mentioned, otherwise leave them blank.)
- Now, on the previous screen where you see all the APNs, select to use the one you just created. You may be required to wait for a few moments or restart your device.
Congratulations, your device should now be able to access the internet, messaging, and call features.
Also, note that you are not required to constantly set up your APN every time you insert your SIM card into your device but might have to switch carrier networks or choose to factory reset it.